New Purchase: Dyson Hair Dryer

I recently purchased the Dyson Hair Dryer.  I was online looking for a hair dryer and had just pulled the trigger on the DevaCurl hair dryer when a colleague mentioned the Dyson one.  I did what we all do.  I scoured the internet trying to find information.  What I found was the $400 price tag.  I was taken aback.

Seriously, after I recovered from sticker shock I did the deep dive to find out if this dryer worked on my type of hair.  I admit that I get caught up in the hype of an item or a purchase because it worked for someone else.  

While doing my deep dive search my DevaCurl hair dryer came.  I felt obligated to try it.  I did and I was not impressed.  Supposedly the shape of the diffuser is supposed to make all the difference.  The price point on this hair dryer was $140 (USD).  Still gave me sticker shock.  I tried it for a week or so and I felt like the hand shaped diffuser flattened my hair.  It was awkward to use and a bit heavy.  So I returned it.

Back to the Dyson...I found nothing on using the Dyson on natural 4a/4b hair (like mine).  I saw many videos of naturalistas using the dryer to blow out their natural hair but that was not helpful for me.  I never flat iron or blow my hair out.  No particular reason...I just don't.  I wear my hair curly exclusively.  I messaged a friend who bought the Dyson hair dryer a couple of years ago and got her story.  Her hair is wavy (not kinky) and she loves it.  She said her hair was so thick that she was burning through a hair dryer a year.  I contemplated for a least a week.

I used the Remington hair dryer (the rather stylish pink and black one that was the rave several years ago) and was not impressed enough to use it more than a couple of times.  Whatever this hair dryer was made of - it was sticky and gross so I cleaned it up as best as I could and donated it.

I received the Dyson last night.  The package was neat and the box was heavy.  I opened it up and looked at it.  It was a hair dryer.  

I left it out and used it this morning.  I did not read the directions because I didn't have time.  It was easy enough.  I used the cool setting on high for 10 minutes or so and then turned it to the lowest heating setting for about 5 minutes.  This dryer gets HOT.  I imagine it would make a great implement for blow outs.  As I experiment with it I may try a "blow out" of sorts to relax these tight curls.

With that said, I liked it.  My hair did not shrink as much as it normally does and it feels lighter (if that is such a thing).  It doesn't feel pressed to my head.

The dryer is light weight, the diffuser is magnetic and sticks to the hair dryer quite well.  

My plan is to read the directions and give it a more in depth  use this weekend.

Here are two shots of my hair today.



Comments

Popular Posts